What's Getting my Goat?
Periodically I feel the need to step out of the gold mining or treasure hunting classroom to vent or simply throw a “change-up” pitch to all you loyal readers out there. Guess what? Today is one of those days.
What’s getting my goat you ask? Well for starters the ever-growing list of mindless, overused, irritating-as-hell buzz words that you hear or read everywhere these days…at work, on the boob tube, in magazines and newspapers, the radio, in personal conversations, online…hell, you name it.
Just Like Jimmy Hoffa
So here are the first six of my “dirty dozen” list of current buzz words that should be made to stand against a wall, given a last cigarette, summarily executed by firing squad, and then buried in cement in some God-forsaken location that no one will ever find (just like Jimmy Hoffa):
1. Sustainable: I swear, if I hear this piece o' crap uttered one more time by some environmental basket case or “greenie” cult member (or anyone else for that matter) I’m going full-bore postal on their asses. So…if you see me coming toward you all cammied up with greasepaint on my face and an AR-15 death gripped in one hand and a frag in the other, crawl under your desks and stay there until it’s all over.
2. Diversity: Oh I know, I know...I’m bound to offend someone out there by choosing this one, but guess what? Tough poopie. We ALL fall under this buzz word’s umbrella, right down to the last attention deficit disordered, hyperactive, gay, lesbian, transgendered, multi-cultural Martian dwarf who stutters constantly and walks with a limp.
3. Proactive: This is one buzz word the bosses frequently like to use in the workplace. “Be proactive,” they say, while they themselves kick back and surf porn sites on the Web all day…meanwhile Rome burns down around them. Tell you what, back in my day a size 12 boot in the ass was all the proactive motivation you were gonna get…and it usually worked pretty well.
(Go ahead, make my day...)
5. Exit Strategy: You’ll hear this one a lot when it comes to the Middle East and Afghanistan. Want to know what I think? If the parents of the politicians and bureaucrats who got us into this mess in the first place had practiced an exit strategy we wouldn’t be in this fix.
6. Wellness: Everything is wellness” these days…“you should practice wellness at work and at home,” or “here’s your wellness brochure.” Wouldn’t you know it, but I’m living the very bestest, greatest, grandest wellness dream of all time these days. Aren’t you? No? Then you better head lickety split right on over to the nearest “wellness center” you poor thing!
That’s it for now. More to come…
If you liked this post, you may want to read: "A Rant on Gold Claims"
© Jim Rocha (J.R.) 2012
Questions? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org